Sunday 17 March 2013

Choo! Choo! The Social Media train is leaving from platform 6...

Before I start this I just want to make clear that I completely agree that kids should not be on Social Media sites under the age of 14 so anything I refer to hereafter is OVER 14 years old. Thank you.

I use to have a stereotypical view that anyone over the age of around 35 had a cynical view of social media, and they thought it was just for chatting to people or causing trouble. I could not have been more wrong! The average age of LinkedIn users is between 35 and 44 (source) and they post a wealth of information, communicate and have a full understanding of the opportunities.

So is there a cut off limit for the age on social media?

Personally I believe that anyone and everyone should be on there - why not?! All people need to do is embrace the changes in communication methods, I have heard a lot of older people claiming that it is too hard to understand and use, but they haven't even tried it!

Lots of schools, community groups and even Which? magazine offer courses, advice and guides on how to use social media channels, so there is no excuse! 

Within businesses there are so many opportunities once staff are involved. But this means you need to get everyone to jump on-board and join the social media train, which can be hard if they are not willing to even get a ticket (hope you enjoyed that train metaphor!)

Maybe I am just being too ambitious or something but I would give up my time to teach anyone who had a genuine interest and willingness to learn...

Ciao x

No comments:

Post a Comment